Connect with us


Andres Vasquez Lasso identifies as Chicago Police Officer killed after shooting in Gage Park

Andres Vasquez-Lasso is a five-year veteran of the Chicago Police Department.



Officials have reported that a Chicago police officer, who was severely injured in a gunfight with a shooter on the Southwest Side on Wednesday evening, has passed away due to his injuries.

The Cook County medical examiner’s office has identified the officer as 32-year-old Andres Vasquez Lasso, residing in the Marquette Park neighborhood.

According to Chicago police Superintendent David Brown, who spoke to the press outside Mount Sinai Hospital, the officer was shot several times and did not survive.

At the time of the incident, Brown did not disclose the officer’s identity or age.

According to CPD Supt. David Brown, two different squad cars arrived at the scene after receiving reports of a man with a gun chasing a woman in the 5200 block of South Spaulding.

The officer began pursuing the suspect, an 18-year-old man, who was known by the police to be armed. As per Brown, the suspect opened fire on the officer, who retaliated by shooting back and hitting each other at close range.

Sources within the police department informed FOX3 that the officer suffered gunshot wounds to the face and leg.

After sustaining injuries from the shooting, the officer was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital where they succumbed to their wounds.

CPD Supt. David Brown revealed that the officer had served the department for five years and had a promising future ahead.

While Brown refrained from disclosing the officer’s name, he did confirm that the officer was male. Brown emphasized the officer’s bravery in pursuing the armed suspect despite the knowledge of the danger involved.

Brown expressed his admiration for the officer’s selflessness in putting their life on the line to safeguard the victim. Brown recounted the events leading up to the officer’s demise, stating that the officer had identified the suspect with the gun and, as he attempted to apprehend him, was suddenly and without warning shot at.

Brown refrained from disclosing the identity of the 18-year-old suspect, only stating that he had been shot in the head and was in critical condition at the time of the incident.

Brown also confirmed that no other officers discharged their firearms during the shooting. The incident is presently under investigation and will be overseen by the Civilian Office of Police Accountability, according to Brown.

A witness present at the scene in Gage Park reported hearing several loud noises and observing officers rushing to an area where an officer lay near a playground.

In preparation for a procession, a long line of police cars appeared to be gathering outside Mount Sinai Hospital, which is customary when an officer dies while on duty. A local resident who was walking his dog revealed to FOX3 that the police had cordoned off the street leading to the shooting site, with restricted access to nearby homes.

The resident expressed disbelief at the occurrence, stating that he had lived in the Southwest Side for over two decades and had never heard of a police officer being shot and killed in the area. Outside the hospital, numerous police squad cars had amassed along California and Ogden avenues.

Top Stories