Connect with us


Memphis shooting rampage leaves at least 4 dead and 3 injured

During a shooting rampage that took place on Wednesday in Memphis, authorities claim that four people were killed and three others were injured across at least eight different places in the city.



During a shooting rampage that took place on Wednesday in Memphis, authorities claim that four people were killed and three others were injured across at least eight different places in the city. The guy is currently in prison following the suspected shooting of many persons while live-streaming himself on the internet.

According to the police, a 19-year-old Ezekiel Kelly who went on a shooting spree throughout Memphis has been taken into custody.

Memphis police reported early Thursday that 19-year-old Ezekiel Dejuan Kelly killed at least four people and injured three more in a shooting spree that spanned at least eight crime scenes.

According to Chief C.J. Davis of the Memphis Police Department, the department received the initial complaint of a homicide at approximately 12:56 a.m. on Wednesday morning.

In response to a question about the shooting that took place early on Thursday morning, Chief Davis stated at a press conference that “this was the initial homicide that this individual was involved for.” “At that moment, we did not know exactly who that man was; nevertheless, as the day progressed, we obtained more information, which allowed us to identify that suspect.”

According to the Memphis Police Department, two guns were located at the location where Kelly was being held after his arrest.

Sheriff Floyd Bonner of the Shelby County Sheriff’s Office was quoted as saying, “I want to tell the public that we’re all working together to try to limit this needless bloodshed here,” in reference to the city of Shelbyville.

The 19-year-old man who police say is responsible for many shootings that occurred in Memphis on Wednesday evening has been taken into custody. This brings an end to a situation that lasted for more than two hours and prompted police to encourage people to stay indoors.

Officers in Whitehaven reportedly detained Ezekiel Dejuan Kelly at approximately 9:20 p.m., according to the police.

Around 7 o’clock in the evening, people were instructed to remain inside their homes while the police looked for the alleged gunman.

A report of a car theft was made around 8:53 p.m. at the Raceway gas station located at 580 Stateline Road in Southaven, according to a tweet from the Southaven Police Department. According to the police, authorities quickly determined that Kelly was the suspect and then flooded the area with additional law enforcement officers.

After issuing a shelter-in-place advisory for a certain region in Whitehaven, the police afterwards confirmed that Kelly was in custody.

Kelly was arrested in the year 2020 for reckless endangerment and attempted first-degree murder, both of which are considered serious crimes.

He was given a sentence of three years in prison, but on March 16 of this year he was released. On Wednesday night, the authorities issued a warrant for Kelly’s arrest, charging her with murder in the first degree. The number of persons who were injured or killed was not immediately disclosed by the police.

After initial reports indicated that Kelly was driving a Toyota with a red dealer tag and a broken rear window, the police advised the public to keep an eye out for him in a grey Toyota with an Arkansas license plate AEV63K.

The videos that Kelly posted to Facebook earlier that day were taken down from the network later that same day. The Instagram account belonging to Kelly was deleted as well on Wednesday night.

Sgt. Louis Brownlee, a spokesperson for the Memphis Police Department, stated that he heard reports that Kelly stole the SUV and harmed the individual who was in the car, but he is unable to confirm whether or not these reports are genuine.

In a tweet sent out at 8 o’clock, the police stated that “the suspect is still at large.” “Remain inside until the situation has been rectified if you can avoid going outside.”

The Memphis Area Transit Authority (MATA) has indefinitely halted all bus and trolley service while they seek for the culprit in the shooting.

The metropolitan area transportation authority (MATA) stated in a news release that was issued on Wednesday evening at 8:30 p.m., “MATA officials are acting in an abundance of caution and care for the safety of its drivers and riders.”

There have been indications that the suspect is taping himself shooting and uploading the footage to Facebook, according to the MPD.

At 7:31 p.m. The University of Memphis issued a warning to the campus after hearing gunshots near the intersection of Patterson Street and Southern Avenue, which is located in the school’s southwestern corner. The warning states that the individual “immediately departed” the vicinity after receiving the information.

The University of Minnesota stated that “there is no threat currently at the University” in an updated alert that was sent out at 8:09 p.m., but students were advised to stay inside and follow the advice of the police.

The doors of all buildings on campus were locked “for general safety,” and there were officers on patrol in the surrounding neighborhood.

At the intersection of Poplar Avenue and McLean Boulevard, a reporter for the Commercial Appeal observed a man who appeared to be injured lying on the sidewalk and being helped into an ambulance. Additionally, police crime scene tape was seen blocking off the area outside of Midtown Center for Health and Rehabilitation.

An open-windowed Honda Pilot sport utility vehicle was spotted parked in the vicinity.

On Wednesday evening, law enforcement personnel placed roadblocks along Poplar Avenue between McLean Boulevard and North Evergreen Street.

Residents in the community congregated outside their homes on North Auburndale Street on Wednesday evening, close to the location where one of the incidents took place.

Top Stories