Connect with us


Robb Elementary School teacher Eva Mireles final conversation on the phone with her husband, Ruben Ruiz

Robb Elementary School teacher Eva Mireles final conversation on the phone with her husband, Ruben Ruiz



Eva Mireles, a teacher at Robb Elementary School, was on the phone with her school district police officer husband, Ruben Ruiz, when she died, a senior county official said Wednesday.

They had their last conversation from opposite sides of the school. She was with her fourth-grade students in two classrooms that had been taken over by a gunman, and he was outside the school with a group of armed officers who were arriving quickly.

“She is in school, and he is outside. After hearing from sheriff’s deputies who were at the shooting that killed 19 students and 2 teachers, Uvalde County Judge Bill Mitchell said, “It’s terrifying.”

Gov. Greg Abbott and Texas State Police Chief Steven McCraw, among other high-ranking officials, have provided fresh facts about the Uvalde shooting, which have added to — and in some cases changed — the evolving portrait they have painted of the incident.

Top teachers’ union official said that the gunman’s grandmother, whom he shot in the face at home before storming the elementary school, had worked there in the past. A lieutenant and a sergeant from the Uvalde Police Department were the first officers to enter the classrooms and were shot through the barred door, officials said.

An important addition to the official story told to reporters, grieving Uvalde families, and viewers of live broadcasts from the usually quiet ranching city about 80 miles west of San Antonio was the discovery that a school door that the gunman, Salvador Ramos, entered through had been closed but not locked as it should have been.

In light of the teacher’s phone call to her husband, it is possible that one of the policemen arriving on the scene already had information from inside the classrooms that could have influenced their decision to delay entry into the facility. There was a lingering dispute as to whether or not the commander at the scene received 911 calls from children inside the classrooms 30 minutes after the gunman arrived.

There have been several instances since last week in which official statements that were initially presented as fact in press conferences have since been changed or removed entirely, further roiling an already rattled community and undermining the trust of many Texans in the official narrative of what happened, even among law enforcement officials and those who represent them.

“Sources that Texans once considered as ironclad and fully credible have now been proven incorrect,” the mayor of Uvalde Don McLaughlin wrote in a letter to the Justice Department over the weekend and a statewide police enforcement organization issued a statement in support of the investigation.

A spokeswoman for the union known as the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas stated that the reference was made to the governor of the state as well as the head of the state police.

Before the Justice Department began its own investigation into the shooting and the response by the police, the investigation into the shooting and the response by the police was being led by the agency that Mr. McCraw works for, the Texas Department of Public Safety, which is in charge of both the state police and the Texas Rangers.

On Wednesday, Travis Considine, a spokesman for the state police, addressed queries about the inquiry to the office of the local district attorney and stated that the department will not be providing any further updates on the investigation moving forward. The prosecutor, Christina M. Busbee, did not respond to the requests that were made for an interview.

When it became apparent that a school district police officer had not confronted the gunman before he entered the school, the state police officials were forced to make an adjustment to a portion of their timeline of events. This occurred just last week. State police officials have been forced to make multiple such adjustments. They did so once more on Tuesday, when the department announced that the gunman did not enter through a door that had been propped open. Instead, the door that was closed had not been locked when it was closed.

“We were able to determine that after holding the door open with a rock, the instructor went back inside when she saw the gunman, and withdrew the rock and the door shut,” Mr. Considine said. When the door was closed but not securely locked, investigators are now investigating into why.

It was reported Sunday that the Justice Department was conducting an investigation into what happened at Robb Elementary School.

Students and instructors in Uvalde’s elementary school will not be returning in the fall, according to the district’s superintendent. In addition, Mr. Abbott ordered the state to initiate a review of school security before the upcoming academic year in all Texas schools.

Lydia Martinez Delgado, the aunt of 17-year-old teacher Ms. Mireles, says she was shot and killed while trying to defend her kids at a predominantly Hispanic school.

Other police officers barred her husband, Mr. Ruiz, from entering the building once he arrived on the scene. “He could not walk into the classroom where all the gunshot victims were,” Ms. Martinez Delgado said in an interview last week.

Officer Ruiz said no when he was asked to do an interview.

A Border Patrol tactical unit broke into his room and murdered him in a matter of 78 minutes after the first 911 call reporting a school shooter. It is not clear when or for how long the two chatted. Sheriff’s deputies who had been at the school, according to County Judge Mitchell, told him about the call.

As for what Mr. Mitchell overheard, the gist appeared to be that the gunman was already on the attack, according to Mr. Mitchell. “He’s outside hearing his wife say, ‘I’m dying,'” he claimed, though he cautioned that he didn’t know exactly what was said.

Pete Arredondo, the head of Mr. Mitchell’s six-person department, was not informed of the call, according to Mr. Mitchell.

In the midst of their discussion, he turned to face his wife. According to the county’s top officer, “I don’t know if that was conveyed to Arredondo or anyone else.”

A decision that Mr. McCraw called “wrong” at a news conference on Friday was attributed to Chief Arredondo, who waited to send officers into classrooms until specialized equipment and more highly trained officers could be delivered.

According to Mr. McCraw, the gunman entered the classrooms around 11:33 a.m. and opened fire, with the most of the shooting occurring shortly thereafter. At around 12:51 p.m., the gunman was slain.

Officials said that the gunman, like many in Uvalde, had a personal connection to the elementary school.

He lived with his 66-year-old grandmother, Celia Martinez Gonzales, in a small house close to school. She used to be a “employee at the school,” said Zeph Capo, the president of the Texas American Federation of Teachers; a state law enforcement official confirmed her former employment at the school.

Last week, Ms. Martinez Gonzales was shot, but she didn’t die. After that, Mr. Ramos ran away from her house and crashed her pickup truck, which neighbors said he could barely drive, into a ditch near the school. He came out with one of two AR-15-style rifles that he had bought soon after turning 18 earlier this month.

In a split second, the shooting changed everything in Uvalde, a town once famed for its trees, honey, and hunting ranches.

“This is the single most terrible, catastrophic occurrence that has ever occurred in Uvalde County,” the county judge, Mr. Mitchell, stated. “However, we will rise again.” We’re going to make it.”

Top Stories